Monday, August 12, 2013

Psalm 139:1-4



Blue Heron, Shark Valley Visitor's Area, Everglades National Park, July 2013

O LORD, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down,
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
O LORD, you know it completely.
Psalm 139:1-4

Nothing is hidden anymore, is it? Buy groceries and read all about the inner workings of your favorite star's family while you wait. Pull up Facebook and people put it all out there - every photo, feeling, preference, like, dislike. With folks putting everything it seems "out there,"  we still hide. Truly, we do. And deeply. The more public we become, the more deeply we hide parts of ourselves. But there is nothing hidden from God. And such knowledge is not a cause for fear or anxiety, but comfort. Christ died for us while we were still sinners, calls to us as we are, loves us even as God knows the thoughts we fear to be made known, the words we long to take back, the actions we wish to undo. And for this we stand in awe and give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment