Monday, July 29, 2013

Psalm 118:5-6



Lubber Grasshopper, Anhinga Trail, Everglades National Park, July 2013

Out of my distress I called on the LORD;
the LORD answered me and set me in a broad place.
With the LORD on my side I do not fear.
What can mortals do to me?
Psalm 118:5-6

Fear, paralyzing fear, disorients us so that we can no longer find our way. We stumble, seeking only to take one more step, but we cannot; we place a tentative toe, then withdraw it. Fear robs our life of joy, of fullness, of freedom, and far worser still, of our ability to honor our relationships. 

To confront that fear, let the Lord's strength be our strength; let the love with which God claims us, forgives us, and saves us bear the burden of our fear, freeing us to live, to love, to claim the hope which sustains us. The fullness of life is the gift that God has given us - let us honor God by giving to God all that diminishes that gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment